Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New year and learning to fly!

Welcome 2015!
I love the start of a new year, it feels refreshing, exciting and fun. I think it's a bit of a combination of taking some time off to relax, there's been some days with family and friends and it's been a fairly mild summer so far (thinking of you guys over in Adelaide Hills though).

This year I'm putting my art at the forefront of my business. The last year Tig's Garden ended up being more of an 'after hours' business to my main workday, but I really want to change that. So at the moment I'm taking part in the 100 day goal with the Business Bakery and have enrolled in a botanical watercolour course which starts in February so I can learn more about colour in my artworks (I'll post my progress!).

I feel a bit like this little guy just figuring out how everything works.


The last two days we've been watching this little ball of fuzz learning how to fly. Not a great photo, but it's a baby fairy wren who is carefully watched and encouraged by mum while it's jumping around the garden strengthening it's wings.
This is the first time we saw him (I'm going to call it a him, I'm not sure if it's possible to tell from plumage until they're about 1), sitting on our front path. We thought he had fallen out of the nest, but when we tried to pick him up he zoomed away, and mum was about so we changed our minds and decided to just keep an eye out for him so he didn't get stepped on or eaten.

Today we got to watch his attempts to fly around with the other fairy wrens. So far he is able to 'jump fly' about 10cm off the ground, is very random with direction, but is very cute :)

We're currently keeping Luma inside so she doesn't get out into the front garden and make herself a meal.

Hopefully we'll see more of him over the next few days, and I'll try and get some better photos.

1 comment:

  1. Well. don't forget his attempts when you start your course. At firstm he was 'very random in direction' and could only fly about 10cm off the ground. It took time and practise for him to get better - and it will be the same for you but I'm sure you will enjoy your course.

    ReplyDelete