Monday, January 11, 2016

My photos suck

Early last year I went on a few photoshoots during the holidays, but came back discouraged, I felt I didn't get any good photos. And to tell you the truth, I often come back from photoshoots feeling that all my photos suck. Sure some were nice happy shots, but nothing that I feel good enough to show anyone or get printed.

The next couple of days I went through photos I'd taken over the past three years and wondered why some of them I'd kept on my computer eventhough they weren't anything special. It occured to me that maybe there is actually no such thing as a bad photo. To me, most of the photos I had taken were kinda average, nothing that made you stop and want to look at them.


But what if they weren't actually bad. What if they just weren't finished.

So I began experimenting. And a lot of the photographic artworks I produced last year, pretty much all of my abstract landscape series, were made from photos that I thought 'didn't quite cut it' originally. This year I want to continue going back through my older photos and saving the ones I would normally delete.

I thought every now and then I'd share some of the before and after pieces.
Starting with this one: Desert Portal.
The photo on the left is the original photo, taken late evening. It was a tree branch taken while taking photos of the Melbourne skyline.
The photo on the right is the finished Desert Portal artwork. I'll have its story in another post.


On a slighty related note, I've opened a shop on Society6. So you can now purchase framed, unframed and canvas prints of my artworks online!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you can get too close to things (like when you get back from a photo shoot and make immediate judgements about your photos) and you need to give yourself some space. It's often suggested that when you sew a garment for yourself that you should hang it in a wardrobe for a week, or at least a few days, before you wear it. By then you will have forgotten about any frustrations you had while sewing it and will just enjoy the experience of wearing something you've made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a bit difficult for dressmakers, I've seen you all making finishing clothes the day you need to wear them :p

      We were talking about something similar in art group the other week actually. Having to step away from your painting for a few minutes or even a few days to really see what it looks like and then you can figure out if you're actually happy with it or not.

      Delete