Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Caterpillar eyes

A quick post today, with a caterpillar question that maybe a butterfly person can answer for me.

After seeing the Orchard Swallowtail Butterfly lay eggs on our lemon tree the other month, I've been following its caterpillars while they grow up. I've found 6 and been taking photos of them growing and changing colour every few days. I'm hoping to get them in their cocoons and hatching (is that the right word?) and will do a full post afterward.

Today I noticed that all of them have black eyes except for one, which has light green eyes.


Is there a reason for the green eyes? Is it a different gender? Is it blind? Is it based on how close they are to creating their cocoon? Is it totally random what colour eyes they have? I'm very curious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment